Authorities have finally revealed the identity of the third and the last London Bridge attack suspect. London Police officials have identified the London attacker as 22-year old Youssef Zaghba.
If media reports are to be believed, the 22-year old terrorist who, along with his two accomplices, killed 7 people and injured 48 people, is an Italian national of Moroccan descent.
The trio was shot dead by London Police almost eight minutes after the knifing and stabbing mayhem at one of the busiest areas of London. Officials claim that they have also identified the family of the suspect who was shot dead by counter terrorism police Saturday.
Unlike the other two suspects whose identities were made public Monday, police say the young Italian national was not a “subject of interest” to police or the intelligence services. Khuram Shazad Butt and Rachid Redouane were identified by authorities as the two out of three suspects involved in the stabbing spree.
In the meantime, people across Britain paused for a moment of silence to remember those killed and injured in the London Bridge attack. Commuters paused in train stations, hospital staff gathered in hospital foyers and workers stopped work in government offices at 11 a.m. (1000GMT). Ambulance workers, many of whom treated the wounded in Saturday’s attack, gathered outside their headquarters alongside Mayor Sadiq Khan.
While the London Police has said that Zaghba was not on police radar, but according to Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera, Italian intelligence had tipped off their British counterparts when he tried to go to Syria last year via the city of Bologna.
Many people are wondering that how Khuram Shazad Butt, who was on the police radar, was able to carry out the attack. British Prime Minister Theresa May, meanwhile, continued to come under attack over police funding cuts that could have interfered with efforts to monitor suspects. Boris Johnson, Britain’s foreign secretary, said that the police and security services will have to explain why Butt was not stopped.
According to Italian website Corriere, Zaghba had an Italian mum and Moroccan dad and was born in Fez. He was stopped at Bologna Airport with just a backpack and one-way ticket to Istanbul in March 2016. The paper claims Moroccan and “British authorities” were tipped off about his movements after he was charged and later cleared on international terrorism charges. But a statement from the Met’s Counter-Terrorism Command say he was “not a police or MI5 subject of interest”. His phone was taken off him and religious images discovered – but nothing to suggest radicalisation, Corriere said, although he was placed on a “persons at risk” list.