Mohinvei Singh, a 68-year old Queens landlord reportedly died after fire broke out in his apartment’s basement. Reports suggest that a massive fire broke out in his blaze at his home on 97th Ave. near 107th St. in Ozone Park, Queens earlier today.
Reports suggest that as the fire broke out, the landlord, Mohinvee singh went down to check as smoke started to rise from the basement. He lived on the first floor of the three storey building.
According to Mohinvei’s son in law, Raman Deol, the fire was detected at around 2:30 a.m. His son Belkarn Singh went down to check for his father in the basement, but couldn’t find him. Raman Deol says that Belkarn Singh couldn’t find his father and so had to return from the basement empty handed.
The fire in the meantime spread to new areas and three sisters were trapped in the house that was badly on fire. But the three sisters were saved though they received minor injuries in the process.
Reports suggest that the loss of lives might have been bigger, had the firefighters not arrived on the scene on time. Reports suggest that they also rescued a couple of babies from the building that was on fire.
A tenant in the building while describing the chaos that followed when the bellowing smoke was detected, says, “None of the power was on. My first thought was to get out of the house. I didn’t have a chance to grab my shoes.”
Singh emigrated from Indian state of Punjab and plied taxi. He helped several of his brothers and other relatives not just immigrate to the US, but also settle down there and get the job.