New Delhi: Parents in of South Delhi schools were deeply concerned when reports of gas leak in the school in the area spread like wildfire. Classes had just begun in a school in Tughlaqabad area of South Delhi when students felt nauseated from some sort of gas. More than 350 students were taken to the nearby hospitals as they started vomiting and complained of breathlessness.
As the reports of the gas leak spread, police were alerted and sent immediately to the area to take care of the children and understand the cause of the leak. National Disaster Response Force or NDRF officials were also deployed without much delay.
Initially people thought that the gas leak was caused by some LPG cylinders. The National Disaster Response Force realized that the gas that leaked was Chloromethyl Pyridine, a chemical used in manufacturing insecticides and pesticides.
While talking to the media school vice principal said, “Some students complained of irritation in the eyes & throat due to the gas leak”.Students were taken to three nearby hospitals. A few parents took their children back to the hospital out of concern even after they were released.
As the news of the leak spread, Delhi Deputy Chief Minister and Education Minister Manish Sisodia said he will visit the children in the hospital and that he has spoken to a few children on phone. “I have asked the DM(District Magistrate) to investigate…Doctors have also said there is no problem,” he said.
Initially the name of the school was not revealed. This created panic among the parents as harried parents started calling schools to know about the welfare of their wards and also to know as to where the incident had happened.
Parents in Jamia Nagar’s Shaheen Bagh, Abul Fazal Enclave and Zakir Nagar, many of whom send their schools in Tughlakabad area not just dialed the schools where their wards are studying, many bumped their office and drove to school to take care of the kids. They were relieved only when they found that the incident of gas leak had not happened in their school.